In 2017, it is estimated that there will be 49,670 new cases of oral cavity and pharynx cancer and an estimated 9,700 people will die of this disease. One of the VELscope® system’s most important tasks is to help identify areas that might, if not identified and treated, progress to oral cancer. The VELscope® system is designed to help dentist recognize oral abnormalities found on the lips, mouth, and upper throat. In just two minutes, with no rinses, stains or discomfort, a VELscope® examination allows dentist to improve their assessment of your overall oral health.
How it Works
The VELscope® uses a safe blue light and fluorescence technology to show differences between normal and abnormal tissues in the mouth. Looking through a special lens, dentists can detect changes several cell layers deep in the early stages that frequently can not be seen by the naked eye.
Why You Should Be Screened
- Oral cancer kills one person every hour in North America
- Oral cancer has three times as many victims as cervical cancer
- If you are over 40, smoke and drink alcohol you are at an increased risk to develop oral cancer.
- Nearly half of oral cancer patients are expected to die within five years because of a late diagnosis, however when detected early it is 80% to 90% survivable.
- Unfortunately, only 35% of case are diagnosed in the early stages.